Chief Investment Officer
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
Position Overview (Purpose):
Reporting to the CEO, the CIO is responsible for the development and management of the investment mandate of the CIB. The CIO will define and implement the CIB investment strategy to increase the number and size of new infrastructure projects in Canada and attract private investors alongside the CIB. He/she will hire and manage a team of skilled professionals that will develop investment opportunities.
Initially the CIO will be responsible for setting up the framework, strategy, governance and policies for each of the key activities under his/her responsibility. One of the key mandates of the CIO will be to develop and propose investment opportunities to the CEO and the Board of the CIB to reach the objective of investing up to $35 billion in key infrastructure projects over the next decade. The successful candidate will be involved in the oversight of the investment process and accountable for the success of the program.
The CIO will also be expected to be a well-regarded ambassador of the CIB along with the Chair and the CEO.
- Setting up CIB’s investment capability including (but not limited to):
- Hiring and developing the team and its expertise
- Intake process for receiving and evaluating unsolicited proposals
- Methodology for detailed assessment of projects
- Robust due diligence process
- Asset management function
- Developing a pipeline of potential investment opportunities by establishing and maintaining a network of potential proponents
- Overseeing the investment process in the selection, analysis, financial structuring, review and approval of deals prepared by the investment team
- Advising on and implementing an investment risk management strategy
- Advising on and sourcing private sector co-investment capital on a global basis
- Building strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders
The ideal CIO will have a good reputation in the infrastructure market, be recognized for his/her leadership, will have the ability to build and engage a team of professionals, his/her skills in developing and maintaining industry relationships. As such, the successful candidate will demonstrate:
- 15-20 years of infrastructure focused M&A, principal debt/equity investing, asset management and/or project finance
- An identifiable investment track record
- Strong relationship and project management skills
- Engineering or project management an asset
- Experience with government agencies an asset
- French language skills an asset
Key Leadership Capabilities:
- Shape Strategy – the successful candidate will demonstrate exceptional judgment and the ability to establish the Bank’s investment strategy. Incorporating the objectives of key stakeholders, the CIO will work closely with the CEO to determine the best way to deploy capital and build the Bank’s portfolio. As such, this individual will have a demonstrated track record of having established and executed an investment strategy.
- Inspire & Influence – the CIO will engage the team and will be able to engage and energize the organization. With strong oral and written communication skills, along with strong presentation skills, this executive will have demonstrated the ability to influence key stakeholders, work collaboratively and have developed strong relationships.
- Build Talent & Teams – this individual will have demonstrated the ability to hire, develop and engage investment professionals.
- Drive for Results – the successful candidate will have demonstrated superior interpersonal skills and will engage the team to drive execution. This individual will have demonstrated initiative and creativity and will continuously be looking for ways to improve processes and reallocate resources as required, while remaining flexible and adaptable.
As this is a new organization, the successful candidate will need to be agile and resilient. With many different stakeholders and the challenges of a start-up, the Chief Investment Officer will be called upon to educate, manage conflict and be resourceful to help the organization achieve its objectives.
- Masters Degree or CFA, CPA, MBA an asset
Other Job Requirements:
- Travel required
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to Dominique Hansen email@example.com